Friday, June 11, 2010

FCS Signs 2X World Champion Mick Fanning


FCS is pleased to announce the signing of dual World Champion Mick Fanning. The exclusive agreement will see the man known as ‘White Lightning’ riding the FCS systems and fins well into the future.

In 2009 a strategic move by Mick to switch from fixed fins to FCS proved beneficial in securing his second World Title. At the halfway mark of the tour Darren Handley, Mick’s shaper of 15 years, made a new quiver of boards, all of which had FCS installed.

“I’m always looking at ways to keep things fresh and moving forward, so halfway through 2009 I started experimenting with FCS and I loved it. I’ve been using them ever since”

Needless to say the new quiver of DHD’s produced some magic that ignited a remarkable competitive streak resulting in Mick winning 3 out of the last 5 World Tour events.

If Mick was not already convinced on the reliability and performance of FCS, his request to have his entire quiver of 09/10 Hawaii boards fitted with the system would prove to be ultimate test. At the end of the season Mick left

Hawaii with a second World Title, and firm in the knowledge that when it came to his equipment, FCS was the way forward.

“Overall I feel like FCS fins have a really dynamic flex and I’m getting more whip in my turns. I really like the extra flex I get through my tail and I find the system speeds up my board and reaction time”

FCS Brand Ambassador and former tour surfer Richie Lovett remarked after the agreement was signed, “Mick and FCS are a perfect fit. FCS is a technical product based on performance, and Mick is one of the most technical surfers in the world. He’s interested in fin design and he also understands the concept of how different templates, foils and fin constructions can ultimately enhance his surfing”.

Once convinced on the system Mick was keen to start working with different fin templates to gain a greater understanding of fin design and how this knowledge can play a critical role in the performance of his boards.

“I’ve started experimenting with different fins and it’s totally altered the way my boards perform. I always carry a pack of FCS fins with me because it’s fun mixing it up and having all the extra options on the same board”

Mick was equally excited about the prospect of working closely with a team of designers on a signature fin range that is scheduled to hit the market in 2011.

“Right now I’m loving working with the crew at FCS on some new signature fin designs more
specific for my surfing. The fins are going to be fast and responsive, with plenty of drive”


Mick now joins fellow stable mates Kelly Slater, CJ and Damien Hobgood, Julian Wilson, Jeremy Flores, Adriano De Souza, Owen Wright plus a host of other world class surfers on the FCS team.

No comments: